I think most people would agree banana bread is delicious.
Step 1. Have a craving for Bananas.
- My husband goes to the store and buys a bunch of bananas (that’s how they come) because he’s a nice guy.
Step 2. Satisfy Craving.
- I eat a banana. I didn’t need to eat the entire bunch. Apparently one banana filled my potassium deficiency or whatever else was behind the craving. So, the remainder of the bananas sat there for a while .
- Because my craving was satisfied, and I don’t necessarily pay attention to the fruits and vegetables on my counter all the time. Unlike children or pets, you don’t have to make sure they are still breathing when you get home. Meanwhile, though, the bananas are turning brown.
Step 4. Get a bright idea 💡💡
- The dark brown tint on the bananas is now getting hard to ignore. Darn, I think to myself, more wasted food, that’s horrible. Then, I think, no, they don’t have to go unused, uneaten and thrown away, you can make banana bread. Great idea.
Step 5. Panic 😱
- I am about to head out the door for work when I realize that the woman who comes to clean every two weeks is coming today. If she sees these bananas, she’ll definitely throw them out. I quickly look for somewhere to hide them so she won’t see them and thus won’t throw them out. We’ve got big plans for these babies now. So, into the freezer they go. It’s the only place I know she probably won’t go. Ok. Problem solved.
Step 6. Defrost
- When I get home (to a newly clean home, ah), I remove them from the freezer, and set them on the counter to thaw. They are quick to thaw, but in the process get a layer of frost around each one so that they look like some sort of science experiment. Dark brown skins with a layer of translucent white is not pretty, particularly as a small puddle is forming around them. (No pictures of this one. You’re welcome.)
Step 7. Make bread
- I follow my very simple banana bread recipe, place the loaf pans in the oven and wait. Ahhhh, the scent is filing the air. ……almost down.
Step 8. Enjoy bread
- It seems that no matter how ridiculous the process, the end result is still delicious.
Add a cup of tea, and it becomes a delightful afternoon treat.
I also add walnuts and chocolate chips to the batter. Yum.